20 First Date Conversation Starters That Aren’t Played Outby Scott Alden on September 29, 2020
It can be awkward to run out of things to talk about on a date. It can be even more awkward to have the same conversations you’ve had on every single date you’ve ever been on. Here are 20 suggestions for conversation starters that haven’t been done to death. Use them, or let them inspire you to come up with your own.
1. What animal, besides humans, do you think would make the best world leaders?
2. If you could take a pill that made you never have a negative thought again, would you?
3. What’s your earliest memory of feeling wonder?
4. What would make this restaurant/bar/bowling alley/ice cream parlor better? (Anything from different glasses to a mariachi band to fog machines is acceptable.)
5. Is there a band that you used to love and can’t stand now?
6. What’s your biggest food-related triumph? (i.e. learned to make a souffle, ate a ten lb cheeseburger)
7. Do you think if you could get paid just to be yourself it would change the way you act? How?
8. Describe the best night of your teenage life.
9. If you had a million dollars that you had to give to charitable causes, how would you spend it?
10. Do you think your name suits you? What would be better? What about my name?
11. What’s your least favorite word?
12. If a close friend told you that they had been abducted by aliens last night, would you believe them?
13. What movies have made you cry, if any?
14. What was your biggest accomplishment before you turned 13?
15. You see on the news that there is an airborne virus that is turning people into zombies. What’s the very first thing you do?
16. Do you have any weird crushes on famous people that don’t make sense to you? (Be prepared to share yours, too. Even if it’s super-embarrassing.)
17. Do you believe in ghosts?
18. What did you think was “cool” when you were around 8 years old?
19. Do you have a “lucky” object or article of clothing? Does it work?
Related: Wine Corks, Guitar Picks and Other Dating Mementos
20. How would you pitch a reality show about yourself? To what network?